Skip to content

How To Become A Personal Trainer In Nigeria

Becoming a personal trainer is a brilliant career move for people who love exercising and are very passionate about helping people around them live healthier lifestyles through exercise routines and programmes. Many do not know that they can transform their passion of exercise into a source of income and so do not understand the enormous potential available to them in the Nigerian exercise industry, so we will like to help you become a personal trainer and start earning big today. The following steps is all you need to getting qualified and becoming a personal trainer in Nigeria as you join the league of professional exercise practitioners.
What do I need to be a personal trainer?
There are only three things you need to become a personal trainer in Nigeria and these are the things clients are checking before they hire a trainer.

1. A reputable training provider
2. Personal Trainer Qualification
3. First Aid Certification

1. Find a reputable training provider
Getting certified in a government approved and accredited training centre is very important, as you make sure they are a recognised provider within the fitness industry in Nigeria and are approved by the Nigerian Ministry of Education and that they offer fully accredited courses by a known professional body. Currently in Nigeria the Institute of registered Exercise Professionals (IREP) stands at the fore front of Exercise Education and Certifications, with partners such as National Institute of Sports (NIS) and International Fitness Professionals Association (IFPA).

2. Personal Trainer Qualification
The personal trainer course entitles a person to start working as a personal trainer in Nigeria and internationally, the course can take as long as 2 weeks to 6 months depending on your type of study.
If you are new to personal training, this course will present the basic knowledge and principles necessary to create effective training programs. If you are an experienced personal trainer, this course reviews and summarizes basic, unchanging principles. Regular review of these principles makes it easier to incorporate new information with your experiences.

3. First Aid Certificate
The first aid certificate, sometimes known as an emergency first aid at work qualification, is a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) recognized certification.
It teaches personal trainers how to perform basic first aid in case any of their clients should sustain an injury during training. It is valid for two years before it needs to be renewed.
You can take a course with us to obtain a first aid certificate

40 Comments

1. Masua John

5 years ago

Type your comment here…Good day, please how can one get to any of your outlet in Abuja Nigeria or do you have an online training program?

1. Joel Uzamere

5 years ago

Hi Masua, thank you for contacting IREP. You can reach our Abuja office now.
      Contact person: Mr Oshomo Oni
      Address: House 10, TDE Estate, No.30 David Ejoor Crescent Gudu, Abuja.
      Tel: 09099709699, 08063449244
      Email: abuja@irep.com.ng

2. Akerele Tolulope

4 months ago

i am student of kwara state university
      i have passion for fitness and well being of others …how can i get certified please

1. Joel Uzamere

1 month ago

Hello Akerele Tolulope,
        Thank you for reaching out.
        Kindly Register to start your training now.
        Cheers

2. Joel Uzamere

5 years ago

Hi Masua John, Our Abuja outlet will be opening soon (2months), please keep visiting this site for more info. Thanks

3. Akanbi Muhammed thalith

5 years ago

Nice service. How do i register for the personal training ? How much should i be preparing. I am a graduate of physiology

1. Joel Uzamere

5 years ago

Hello Akanbi, thank you for contacting IREP.
      For more information about courses and prices, kindly visit: http://irep.com.ng/fitness-courses/
      and as a graduate of physiology you can become a member of the Institute.

Cheers and let us know if you need more information or help in registering.

4. Adeolu

5 years ago

Awesome. Am currently in Dubai, but interested in attaining fitness instructor level 1 certificate. My question is do you run an online program for people outside Nigeria.?

5. Desola Ogunye

5 years ago

I’m a personal fitness instructor but i want to get certified.

1. Joel Uzamere

5 years ago

You’re in the right place. Simply register and you’re on way to becoming one!

1. Lateef

5 months ago

I am professional body building, a gym owner and a fitness trainer for 10years. I want to do the Personal Trainer Course. How do I registered.

6. Juliet Egonye

5 years ago

Please,how do I register for a certificate program on fitness and health.

Please how do I register for a certificate program on health and fitness?

7. Sylvester A. Yakubu

5 years ago

Please am interested in attaoning fitness intructor level 1 certifocate how do i register nd contact you,this my number 07038910828

8. Adeniyi M. Jeremiah

4 years ago

I am a physiologist and a lecturer of school of nursing. I want to register and become a member. What do i need to do.

9. Deborah Atiba

4 years ago

Hello, pls is do you have any branch on the mainland? Im interested in the L1 fitness trainer certificate. What is the programme duration? Is there any package for people who are working?

1. Joel Uzamere

4 years ago

Hi Deborah, thanks for contacting IREP. The Level 1 Certificate course duration is 3 months. 2 months online, 2 weeks one-one-one class and 2 weeks IT. Over half of our students that enroll for this course have regular jobs, so with proper planning you can be qualified in no time.
      For more information, you can visit the COURSE page on this site and click on your desired course.
      Hope this helped answer your questions.
      Looking forward to seeing you in class.
      Cheers

10. Edohoeket

4 years ago

i am interested but i am am electrical engineering student can i still participate

11. Ben

4 years ago

Hi, currently I work as a fitness instructor since 2009 till date. Am really interested in the levels 1-3 and also the first aid certification to help me take my game to another level positively. How soon is your next session starting? I am in lagos and would love to join the next session. Thanks.

12. Vee

4 years ago

Hi, I’m an LL.B graduate. Can I start from fitness trainer 1 or should I start from the gym instructor course

1. Joel Uzamere

4 years ago

Hello Vee, You can start from Fitness Trainer 1.
      I recommend yo join the first set in 2017, which registration for is in progress.
      Call 08027238031 for more information.
      Cheers and seasons greetings.

13. Oluwafemi Ayoade

4 years ago

Hello, I am contacting you from Atlanta, Georgia. USA and have been a personal trainer for 7 years. Outside of all these things what will I need to start training in Nigeria or is this all I would require to get started?

14. idowu

3 years ago

Are there going to be jobs on the completion of the course

15. jennifer

3 years ago

Hello….. Where can I get your outlook in Lagos

16. Awosile Nurudeen Olasile

2 years ago

Goodmorning, I’m a fitness lover that wants to turn my passion into my profession. How can I be certified and like how much will the whole process cost me? Thanks

1. Joel Uzamere

2 years ago

Hello Awosile Olasile,
      Yes, anyone can become a certified fitness professionals and start earning big!
      We offer foundation courses that help you build the skills you need in developing your career.

Register for the Assistant Fitness Trainer Certification via the link below and more details will be sent to you.

Cheers

17. Joseph Isiagu

1 year ago

Please where is your centre in lagos

1. Joel Uzamere

1 year ago

Hi, its at Anthony.
      Call Mr Dare (08137934208) to book a meeting time.

Cheers

18. Cjay

1 year ago

good morning, i’m a graduate of Human Kinetics and health education. it is my desire to one day operate and coordinate a gym and fitness centre in my locale. what is your advice on the required course/courses or steps to take. thanks.

1. Joel Uzamere

1 year ago

Hello, thank you for contacting IREP.

To operate a Gym or Recreational center it is important to be certified and have certified trainers in your facility.

Kindly register via this link: irep.com.ng/course-registration/ and our students lead will be in-touch.

Cheers

19. Hafah

12 months ago

Hi , i am a 16 year old who want to start the foundation of becoming a personal trainer .can i register .thank you

1. Oloyede mufutau

4 months ago

Please sir, i have B.Sc Human kinetics , am interested in this course and I need your Lagos State centre contact address.

1. Joel Uzamere

1 month ago

Dear Olayede Mufutau,
          We are at Anthony-Maryland, Lagos.

Kindly register for more information and directions:

20. Azuh Ogechukwu

7 months ago

Hello, I want to become a fitness trainer, how do I start?

21. Maureen

6 months ago

Hello, pls i’m a psychologist and need to become a certified fitness trainer for improve my current career.pls which course do I start from, how many months and where is your training centre in Lagos

22. Martin Arinze

5 months ago

Where is your Lagos lffice

Where is your Lagos office?